As a parent, the last thing you’d ever want to imagine is having your child sustain a serious injury in an accident. Unfortunately, this is something that happens more often than anyone would like to admit, and if your child was recently injured in an accident due to no fault of his own, there is a very good chance that you are now seeking financial compensation on his behalf. Our Maryland personal injury attorneys are here to help. Please continue reading and reach out to our firm to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my child is hurt in an accident in Maryland?

If your child is injured in an accident, you should do your best to stay calm and take the following steps:

  1. Call the police.
  2. If your child was injured in an auto accident, get the other driver’s insurance information. If your child was injured in a store or on someone else’s property, notify the store/property owner of the incident.
  3. Ask witnesses for their contact information.
  4. Take pictures of the scene of the accident.
  5. Ensure your child is promptly treated in the hospital and you obtain all documentation regarding his or her injury.
  6. Hire an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney.

Am I allowed to sue on behalf of my child after an injury in Maryland?

Fortunately, in most cases, you are. That being said, you should first understand that these personal injury claims generally have two parts. The first part is suing for economic damages, which include the monetary cost of the injury, such as medical bills, the cost of therapy, potentially lost wages, and more. The second part of these lawsuits includes noneconomic damages, which deal with real, yet intangible damages, such as the loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and more.

How long after an accident will I have to sue on behalf of my child in Maryland?

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is, generally, three years, meaning in most cases, you will have three years from the date of your child’s accident to take legal action against the negligent party who caused his or her injuries. If you wait any longer than three years, you will most likely be barred from suing. That being said, the sooner you bring your claim to our attention, the sooner we can begin fighting for the compensation your child deserves and needs to heal. We are ready to help you today. All you have to do is give us a call.


If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.