It is important that you reach out to an understanding and knowledgeable personal injury attorney who will work to recover the compensation you deserve after being injured as a passenger in an auto accident. Continue reading to discover the steps you should take to set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim, how to recover damages as a passenger, and the statute of limitations for auto accidents in Maryland.
What should I do following an accident?
To set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim, it is important that you document the facts of the incident as best you can. Take the following steps to protect yourself:
- Call 911. The police will document the accident and bring an ambulance to the scene.
- Seek medical assistance immediately. Collect all medical documents relating to your injuries. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Take photos of your injuries and the scene of the accident.
- Collect both driver’s insurance information.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Retain the services of an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal.
Recovering Damages as a Passenger
You and your experienced personal injury attorney will take legal action against the negligent driver’s insurance company. Your attorney will work to recover both economical and non-economical damages that will cover the emotional, physical, and financial burdens that were caused by the accident.
Examples of economical damages include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages & lost future wages
- Medical equipment
- Outside assistance
Examples of non-economical damages are as follows:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of independence
What is the statute of limitations for auto accident claims in Maryland?
The statute of limitations for auto accident claims is generally three years in Maryland. This means that you will have three years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the negligent party responsible for your accident. To avoid being barred from suing, get started as soon as possible by reaching out to our experienced personal injury attorney today. Give our firm a call to learn about our services and how we will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you deserve. We are prepared to take on your case next.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C. and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.