With the weather warming up and spring officially upon us, many bicyclists across the state are getting back out on the road again. While cycling is both healthy, economical, and generally safe, it can quickly become very dangerous if you do not take the necessary precautions. In honor of National Bicycle Safety Month, our Maryland personal injury attorneys have compiled a list of some of the most important safety tips to drastically decrease the risk of a bicycle accident occurring. Please continue reading to learn more.
- Before leaving, give your bicycle a quick inspection. Taking a few minutes to ensure your bike is functioning optimally may save your life. This means checking tire pressure, brakes, the bike chain, and more.
- Never bike in the opposite direction of traffic. To reduce the risk of collision, always bike in the same direction as traffic, and use the appropriate hand signals when you wish to turn to notify all other motorists around you.
- Always wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet that complies with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards can save your life. Do not underestimate the importance of wearing a helmet at all times.
- Follow the rules of the road. Every vehicle, pedestrian, and cyclist must obey the rules of the road. When people fail to do so, accidents happen.
- Make yourself visible to all motorists. Always wear bright clothes, use reflectors, and install lights on your bicycle, especially if you plan on taking your bike out at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Various safety hazards may present themselves, such as loose debris, negligently designed roads, and, of course, careless motorists. If you are constantly on the lookout for such hazards, you may be able to avoid them and stay out of harm’s way.
Unfortunately, not all cyclists are able to stay out of harm’s way, even if they take all the necessary safety precautions. If you are someone who has been injured in a bicycle accident due to another motorist’s negligence, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help you heal. This is where we come in. We have helped countless individuals who have been wrongly injured for years, and we are ready to do the same for you. Give our knowledgeable Maryland personal injury attorneys today to learn more about what we can do for you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.