Every parent wishes they could be there at all times for their child. Unfortunately, most people have to work and their kids need a place to stay during the day. We trust daycares to responsibly and professionally interact with and help raise our children. When this does not happen, parents understandably feel angry and betrayed. If you are in this situation, here are some of the questions you may have:
What are some examples of daycare negligence?
Unfortunately, though rather obviously, daycare staff or employers can be negligent in several different ways. Some examples of unsafe, negligent daycare conditions and behavior are as follows:
- Children can access cleaning supplies or otherwise toxic materials if ingested. The pleasant smells very often attract children, and if they are capable of gaining access to these materials, the result can be disastrous.
- If your child complains he or she is hungry or thirsty after coming home from daycare and does not make these complaints when you’re not at work, there is a chance the daycare has malnourished children.
- Additionally, if your child is constantly coming home with cuts and bruises, he or she may be sustaining physical abuse at the hands of a caretaker. This is every parent’s nightmare, which is why you must contact local authorities if you believe this to be true.
- Broken glass, moldy walls, defective or rusty playground equipment, and more are all examples of hazardous conditions that your child should not be around.
- Supplies and other small objects should never be within a child’s grasp. These things are very obviously choking hazards to children, so daycares must ensure all office supplies are properly stowed away when not in use.
How do I file a lawsuit against a negligent daycare facility?
To successfully file a lawsuit against a negligent daycare facility, you must prove several things. First, you will have to prove that your child was enrolled in their daycare service. Next, you will have to prove that the daycare center breached its duty of care and that your child was therefore injured or harmed in some way as a result. If you can prove that the injuries your child sustained could have been avoided through a reasonable sense of judgment, you should be able to recover compensation with the help of an experienced attorney.
Our seasoned attorneys can help you obtain and effectively use security camera footage of the neglect, pictures of your child’s injuries, witness statements to verify your claim, medical documentation, police reports, and more. If you think your child is in imminent danger, the first thing you must do is call 911.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C. and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.