Speeding can cause serious auto accidents. If you were hurt in one, you will need to retain the services of our car accident attorneys in Prince George’s County, Maryland. We are here to help you obtain the compensation you need to heal.
How does speeding cause auto accidents?
It is essential to recognize that speeding is a large factor in traffic deaths and injuries. The role of speeding in crashes is described in regard to its effect on the driver, the vehicle, and the road. Excessive speeding decreases the amount of time the driver has to respond in a dangerous situation to avoid a crash, increases vehicle stopping distance, and reduces the ability of road safety structures (such as guardrails, impact attenuators, crash cushions, median dividers, and concrete barriers) to protect drivers in a collision.
Speeding was found to be a factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities in 2019, killing 9,478, or an average of over 25 people per day. The total number of fatal motor-vehicle crashes related to speeding was 8,544. A crash is referred to as speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was suggested as a contributing element in the crash.
The percentage of speeding-related deaths has steadily declined. In 2010, 32% of traffic fatalities were speeding-related, in relation to 26% now.
What steps should you take after an auto accident?
If you were injured in an auto accident and would like to seek legal action, it is important that you act quickly. Take the following steps to increase your chances of filing a successful personal injury claim, if you choose to take legal action in the future:
- Call 911. They will be able to document the process by completing a police report. They will also dispatch an ambulance to the scene to treat any injuries sustained in the car accident.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information while you wait for the ambulance to arrive.
- Take plenty of pictures and videos of the scene of the accident including any hazards that played a part in the accident.
- Take a picture of your injuries.
- As the other party for their insurance information.
- When medical assistance arrives, seek medical treatment right away.
- Retain the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer. A skilled attorney will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you need to move forward.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.