This Halloween, children will most likely come to your door for trick-or-treating. For this very reason, you must ensure that your property is safe for all who enter your premises. Please continue reading to learn more about some of the safety precautions you, as a property owner can take, and also what to do if you are someone whose child has been injured on someone else’s property this Halloween. Here are some of the questions you may have for our experienced Maryland personal injury attorneys:

How can I ensure my property is safe this Halloween?

If you are a property owner who will be having trick-or-treaters over this Halloween, you should take several steps to ensure that your property is safe for trick-or-treaters and their families. To start, you should ensure that all walkways are well-lit, and that Halloween decorations are not obstructing anyone’s path. Additionally, you should ensure that your steps are fully functional and can support all those who come up to your door. You should also ensure that all candy you hand out is fresh and not past its expiration date, among other things. If you fail to do so and someone is injured, you may face a premises liability claim.

What should I do if my child is injured on someone else’s property this Halloween?

If you or your child is injured on someone else’s property, you should do everything in your power to document the incident as it happened. This means that you should take the following steps:

  1. Notify the property owner of your injury.
  2. Take pictures of the unsafe property conditions that caused your accident.
  3. Ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their name and phone number.
  4. Call the police, if necessary, and ensure you receive immediate medical attention.
  5. Once you are treated in the hospital, ask your doctor for all medical documentation/bills regarding your injuries.
  6. Hire a knowledgeable Maryland personal injury attorney who can work to gather all additional evidence needed to prove that you were injured as a direct result of that property owner’s negligence.

Keep in mind that premises liability claims must be filed within the state’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is, generally, three years, which means that in most cases, you will have three years from the date of your accident to sue the party responsible. We are here to help.


If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.