The Fourth of July is right around the corner, and though everybody enjoys fireworks on the Fourth of July, before inviting guests over for the evening, you must ensure you understand how to safely use fireworks to ensure nobody gets hurt. Below, our experienced Maryland personal injury attorneys have compiled a short checklist for firework safety. Please continue reading to learn more.
How do I light fireworks off safely?
There are several things you can do to help ensure you light your fireworks off safely. Some of the most important firework safety tips are as follows:
- Do not purchase or set off fireworks if they are illegal in your area.
- Never let children handle fireworks–only responsible adults may do so.
- Do not let your pets out during firework displays, as this often causes them to run away.
- Always have a garden hose, fire extinguisher, or another water source nearby in case of a fire.
- Always put on protective glasses before lighting fireworks.
- Before lighting fireworks, ensure all guests and spectators are a safe distance away
- Do not try relighting “dud” fireworks, as this frequently causes serious injuries.
- Do not stand over a firework while lighting it.
- After you’ve lit off a firework, douse it with cool water before throwing it in the trash.
What should I do if I am injured by fireworks?
If you are at a neighbor’s, friend’s, or relative’s house and are injured in a firework accident due to their negligent handling of the fireworks, there is a very good chance that you may be able to recover financial compensation through a premises liability claim. However, you should understand that to win a personal injury claim, you will have to hire an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney who can gather and present all the evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof, such as pictures or videos of the accident, medical documents, police reports, surveillance footage of the accident, witness statements, and more. You should also note that since there is a statute of limitations for personal injury claims, you must ensure you reach out to us so we can file your claim within three years of the date of your accident. If you wait too long, you will most likely be barred from suing. Do not let this happen.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.