There are few things worse than being injured in an auto accident due to no fault of your own. Unfortunately, New Year’s is a holiday where many people operate their vehicles while under the influence of alcohol. If you are someone who has been injured in an accident with a drunk driver, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation. Our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our Maryland personal injury attorneys to learn more.

What should I do after being injured in an accident with a drunk driver?

If you are injured in an accident with a drunk driver, it is critical that you take several steps to maximize your chances of winning a personal injury claim in the future. Those steps are as follows:

  1. Call the police. They will send an ambulance and most likely ask the driver to submit to chemical testing–usually a breathalyzer test. This will play a key role in proving your personal injury claim.
  2. You should then ask the driver for his or her insurance information–however, if the driver is very intoxicated or seems threatening, simply wait in your car until the police arrive.
  3. Ask anyone who saw your accident for their name and phone number.
  4. Take pictures of the scene of the accident.
  5. Seek immediate medical treatment.
  6. Retain the services of a knowledgeable Maryland personal injury attorney who can work to uncover all additional information needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf.

Does Maryland have a dram shop law?

Many states across the country have dram shop laws in place that essentially allow individuals to sue both a drunk driver and the establishment that served the driver alcohol under certain circumstances. However, unfortunately, Maryland does not have such a law in place, which is why you must hire an attorney who can work to recover full compensation from the driver’s insurance company.

What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland?

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is, generally, three years, which means that if you have been injured in an accident, you must take legal action against the liable party within three years from the date of your accident. If you fail to do so, there is a very good chance that you will be permanently time-barred from suing. Our firm can help you today.

Contact our experienced Maryland firm

If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.