Accidents and injuries can, unfortunately, occur in the comfort of our own homes. Apartment accidents are typically caused by negligence. If you have been injured in an apartment accident due to no fault of your own, you may be eligible to recover compensation in a personal injury claim. To learn more about filing a personal injury claim and apartment accidents, continue reading and reach out to our experienced personal injury firm today. We would be happy to walk you through the steps of the legal process ahead. If you have any further questions, give our firm a call.
What are the most common causes of apartment accidents in Maryland?
The most common causes of apartment accidents are typically forms of negligence. This is either on the part of the landlord or the tenant. When landlords fail to provide their tenants with safe living conditions, their tenants can sustain injuries. The following are the most common causes of apartment accidents:
- Tenants failing to remove snow or other weather-related hazards
- Failure to ensure stairways are safe
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Failure to install smoke alarms
- Failure to install carbon monoxide detectors
- Unsafe apartment sidewalks
What steps should I take after being injured in my apartment?
Take the following steps after sustaining injuries in an apartment accident:
- Call the police. They will bring medical attention to the scene of your accident and document the accident by conducting a police report.
- Notify your landlord of the accident.
- Take photos of the unsafe conditions that caused your accident.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal.
How long will I have to take legal action against my landlord?
The statute of limitations is generally three years for personal injury claims in Maryland. This means that you will have three years from the date of your apartment accident to bring attention to your personal injury claim. The sooner you take legal action, the better. If you wait longer than the allotted time, you could risk being permanently barred from suing. Give our experienced attorney a call today to begin this process as soon as possible. Contact us to learn more about our services and how we can assist you and your claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C. and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.