By understanding the most common causes of car accidents, you may be able to reduce your chances of being in one yourself. Continue reading to learn the top five most common causes of car accidents. Plus, learn the steps you should take following a car accident if you are seeking to recover financial compensation.
What are the top 5 most common causes of car accidents?
The top five most common causes of car accidents in the United States are as follows:
- Distracted driving
- Intoxicated driving
- Reckless driving
What steps should I take following a car accident?
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to have a plan. Take the following steps following your accident while you are still at the scene to set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim:
- Call the police. The authorities will create a safer scene by redirecting traffic if necessary. They will also bring medical attention to the scene and conduct a police report to document the incident.
- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Take photos of your injuries.
- Take photos of the scene of your accident and any hazards that played a part in your accident as well as any property or vehicle damage.
- Collect the other party’s insurance information. Keep this conversation short and polite.
- Seek medical attention as soon as the ambulance arrives. Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal. Your attorney may also be able to obtain further evidence to support your claim including surveillance footage of your accident as it happened.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is typically three years. This means that you will have three years from the date of your accident to bring attention to your personal injury claim. The sooner you bring attention to your claim, the better. It is important to file your claim within this period of time to avoid being barred from suing. To get started with this process, give our firm a call today to learn more about our service and to schedule your initial consultation.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MARYLAND FIRM
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C. and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.