Were you involved in a sidewalk accident due to dangerous sidewalk conditions? If so, you may recover compensation with the help of our Prince George’s County Sidewalk Accident Attorneys. Learn the steps you should take following the accident to set yourself up for a successful premises liability claim below.
What is the burden of proof in a sidewalk accident claim?
Our Prince George’s County Slip & Fall Attorneys will work with you to satisfy/fulfill the burden of proof. The burden of proof means establishing the property owner either should have reasonably known about the dangerous conditions of their sidewalk or knew and did nothing to fix them, resulting in your injuries.
Follow these steps after the accident to strengthen your claim:
- Call the police. They will document the accident on an official report.
- Seek medical attention. Your injuries should be documented to prove you sustained significant damages from the accident. Some injuries take a few days to set in, so make sure you receive proper medical treatment.
- Collect witness information. Witnesses can corroborate your story at a later date. Surveillance footage can also be used in court.
- Take pictures. Documenting the dangerous conditions that caused the slip and fall should be done as soon as possible to prevent them from being covered up by the property owner.
- Contact our firm. Get in touch with a sidewalk accident attorney to assist with your claim.
How long do I have to sue the property owner after the accident?
The statute of limitations in Maryland is three years for personal injury claims. File your claim against the property owner in this time frame to receive compensation for your injuries.
Why should I file a personal injury claim?
You should file a personal injury claim to receive compensation for the economic and non-economic damages you sustained due to the dangerous property conditions. Economic damages include financial burdens that were imposed on you after the accident. These include medical bills, hospital stays, rehabilitation, loss of wages, and future wages. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment in life, inconvenience, emotional distress, and loss of society and companionship.
No one should have to go through a personal injury claim alone. The financial, physical, and emotional burdens sustained were due to no fault of your own and you deserve compensation to recover from your injuries. Contact our firm today, so we can help you get the justice you deserve.
Contact our experienced Maryland firm
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you must reach out to one of our knowledgeable attorneys. At Timian & Fawcett, LLC, we provide effective legal services to clients in Prince George’s County, Washington, D.C., and all of Maryland. Our firm is dedicated to assisting our clients. If you need our help, we are ready to serve. Contact Timian & Fawcett, LLC.